By Mark Lucock
This interesting booklet attracts it material from quite a number suitable disciplines that stretch from molecular nutrients, dietary sciences, and nutrients dietetics via to genetics, genomics, and anthropology. It provides an essential portrait of the completely basic position that meals has performed and keeps to play in shaping who and what humans are, in addition to the place they advanced from, and the place they are heading as a species.
Molecular foodstuff: nutrients and the Evolution of Humankind:
- Blends insurance of the molecular mechanisms that underpin nutrient-gene interactions with evolutionary theory
- Takes a molecular organic method of challenge fixing, and strikes foodstuff clear of its dietetic and anthropological origins to front traces of genomic research
- Covers key recommendations in molecular biology; the –omics revolution and bioinformatics; fresh human evolution; molecular mechanisms of gene-nutrient interactions; the significance of food and genomics in affliction; the evolution of micronutrient metabolism, protein constitution, and human illness; foodstuff and the human lifecycle; modern nutritional styles; modern laboratory instruments in nutrigenomics and human evolutionary studies
Written through an the world over acknowledged professional within the box, Molecular foodstuff: nutrients and the Evolution of Humankind is a useful textual content and reference ebook for a variety of lecturers, scholars, and researchers.
Read Online or Download Molecular Nutrition and Genomics: Nutrition and the Ascent of Humankind PDF
Similar endocrinology & metabolism books
This well timed, accelerated re-creation is the definitive guide for skilled drug metabolism and pharmaceutical scientists and people new to the sphere. Written by way of across the world well known authors, it presents built-in, complete assurance of basic features of drug metabolism and the sensible purposes that aid consultant researchers via key demanding situations in smooth drug discovery and improvement.
It is a 3-in-1 reference booklet. It provides an entire clinical dictionary protecting 1000s of phrases and expressions on the subject of glucose intolerance. It additionally offers huge lists of bibliographic citations. eventually, it presents details to clients on easy methods to replace their wisdom utilizing a variety of net assets.
Offers an updated assessment of weight problems, its study and medical elements. The textual content information issues starting from historic views, definitions and size to the aetiology, pathophysiology, prevention and remedy of weight problems. It covers the influence of weight problems on quite a few stipulations, reminiscent of diabetes, gout, arthritis, and middle, pulmonary and gallbladder sickness, in addition to being pregnant.
Macromolecular (specifically peptide-based) medicines may in all likelihood be powerful medications. besides the fact that they've got a comparatively brief period of motion and variable healing index. An instance of one of these peptide is Glucagon-like Peptide I which can in all likelihood be used as a progressive drug for diabetes.
- The Official Patient's Sourcebook on Hyperparathyroidism: A Revised and Updated Directory for the Internet Age
- Primary Aldosteronism: Molecular Genetics, Endocrinology, and Translational Medicine
- An atlas of obesity and weight control
- The Official Patient's Sourcebook on Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 1: A Revised and Updated Directory for the Internet Age
- The Handbook of Endocrine Surgery
- Human Drug Metabolism: An Introduction, Second Edition
Extra resources for Molecular Nutrition and Genomics: Nutrition and the Ascent of Humankind
53) recently showed that the frequency of Pro11Leu allelic frequency varied widely among 11 extant human populations with differing ancestral diets. 3% in Chinese who have a more mixed ancestral diet. Using the genetic distance measure FST , these authors conclude that the frequency of this allele has been shaped by dietary selection pressure. 8 for explanation and further reference). It is recognized that in the presence of a low folate status, this mutant allele is associated with elevated homocysteine, and aberrant epigenetic processes, both of which are thought to be key factors in vascular disease and cancer (20,25).
Important micronutrient–gene interactions, with particular reference to the effect of certain vitamins and minerals on the genomic machinery and/or gene product. Some Important Micronutrient–Gene Interactions Dietary Component Background Information Retinoic acid (vitamin A) RXR forms homodimers and heterodimers with vitamin D, PPAR, thyroid hormone, and COUP receptors Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) Oxidative DNA damage in vitamin C depletion (formation of 8hydroxyguanine) Modulates responsiveness of steroid hormone receptor Pyridoxal Phosphate (vitamin B6 ) Riboﬂavin (vitamin B2 ) Flavin cofactor for 5,10MTHFR Folic acid Provides 1-C unit for purine, pyrimidine, and methyl groups Vitamin D Vitamin D receptor forms a heterodimer with RXR Growth arrest speciﬁc gene 6 product contains γ -carboxyglutamate residues Antioxidant properties.
By contrast, many northern Europeans, northern Africans, and Arab populations maintain their ability to digest lactose into adulthood, and they have a high digestive capacity. The dominant LAC P gene controls adult lactose digestion: Either one or two alleles confer high digestive capacity. By contrast, homozygosity for the recessive allele LAC R confers low digestive capacity. The genetic distribution of LAC P may stem from the environmental pressures of a nomadic lifestyle in some northern African and Arab populations.