By J. Larry Jameson
Endocrinology – as basically HARRISON’S can disguise it
A Doody's center name for 2015.
Featuring a very good compilation of chapters on endocrinology that seem in Harrison’s rules of inner drugs, Eighteenth Edition, this concise, full-color medical spouse offers the newest wisdom within the box sponsored via the medical rigor and authority that experience outlined Harrison’s. you can find content material from popular editors and individuals in a carry-anywhere presentation that's perfect for the study room, health center, ward, or exam/certification preparation.
- An association that displays the physiologic roots of endocrinology: Pituitary, Thyroid, and Adrenal problems; Reproductive Endocrinology; Diabetes Mellitus, weight problems, Lipoprotein Metabolism; issues Affecting a number of Endocrine structures; and issues of Bone and Calcium Metabolism
- An very important advent that makes use of a number of examples of translational study to hyperlink genetics, mobile biology, and body structure with pathophysiology and treatment
- Integration of pathophysiology with scientific management
- 108 high-yield questions and solutions drawn from Harrison’s rules of inner medication Self-Assessment and Board evaluation, 18e
- Updates and new advancements because the book of Harrison’s ideas of inner medication, 18e
- 29 chapters written by means of physicians who're well-known specialists within the box of endocrinology
- Helpful appendix of laboratory values of scientific importance
Read or Download Harrison's Endocrinology, 3E PDF
Best endocrinology & metabolism books
This well timed, elevated re-creation is the definitive instruction manual for skilled drug metabolism and pharmaceutical scientists and people new to the sphere. Written by way of across the world popular authors, it offers built-in, finished assurance of basic elements of drug metabolism and the sensible functions that support consultant researchers via key demanding situations in smooth drug discovery and improvement.
It is a 3-in-1 reference publication. It provides a whole clinical dictionary overlaying thousands of phrases and expressions when it comes to glucose intolerance. It additionally provides large lists of bibliographic citations. eventually, it presents info to clients on the way to replace their wisdom utilizing quite a few web assets.
Offers an updated assessment of weight problems, its examine and scientific parts. The textual content information subject matters starting from old views, definitions and dimension to the aetiology, pathophysiology, prevention and remedy of weight problems. It covers the impact of weight problems on a number of stipulations, reminiscent of diabetes, gout, arthritis, and center, pulmonary and gallbladder sickness, in addition to being pregnant.
Macromolecular (specifically peptide-based) medicines might possibly be powerful drugs. even if they've got a comparatively brief period of motion and variable healing index. An instance of this sort of peptide is Glucagon-like Peptide I that could possibly be used as a innovative drug for diabetes.
- Metabolic Aspects of PCOS: Treatment With Insulin Sensitizers
- Growth Hormone Deficiency: Physiology and Clinical Management
- Principles of Endocrine Pharmacology
- Essential Endocrinology: A Primer for Nonspecialists
Additional info for Harrison's Endocrinology, 3E
Because pituitary development follows midline cell migration from the nasopharyngeal Rathke’s pouch, midline craniofacial disorders may be associated with pituitary dysplasia. Acquired pituitary failure in the newborn also can be caused by birth trauma, including cranial hemorrhage, asphyxia, and breech delivery. 19 CHAPTER 2 Pituitary dysplasia movements. Defects in the X-linked KAL gene impair embryonic migration of GnRH neurons from the hypothalamic olfactory placode to the hypothalamus. Genetic abnormalities, in addition to KAL mutations, also can cause isolated GnRH deficiency.
Drug-induced inhibition or disruption of dopaminergic receptor function is a common cause of hyperprolactinemia (Table 2-9). Thus, antipsychotics and antidepressants are a relatively common cause of mild hyperprolactinemia. Most patients receiving risperidone have elevated prolactin levels, sometimes exceeding 200 ug/L. Methyldopa inhibits dopamine synthesis and verapamil blocks dopamine release, also leading to hyperprolactinemia. Hormonal agents that induce PRL include estrogens and TRH. CHAPTER 2 (see below).
MRI is generally superior to CT for evaluating cystic structure and tissue components of craniopharyngiomas. CT is useful to define calcifications and evaluate invasion into surrounding bony structures and sinuses. Treatment usually involves transcranial or trans sphenoidal surgical resection followed by postoperative radiation of residual tumor. Surgery alone is curative in less than half of patients because of recurrences due to adherence to vital structures or because of small tumor deposits in the hypothalamus or brain parenchyma.