By Jim Aspinwall
Set up a high-speed domestic network
Network the pcs and peripheral units in your house or small place of work with the thrill and functional initiatives packed within this hands-on consultant. Produced together with CNET.com, where you opt for the most recent in tech and customer electronics, this publication indicates you the way to create a stressed or instant community so that you can percentage documents, printers, and different assets. you will additionally learn how to manage a server and safe and extend your community.
Inside, you can find 24 self-contained initiatives, step by step directions, a listing of instruments wanted firstly of every venture, and 1000s of transparent pictures and screenshots. CNET selfmade domestic Networking Projects takes you from starting via complicated projects comfortably!
- Control different desktops remotely
- Share community garage and not using a server
- Set up a webcam server
- Enable and percentage a mobile facts connection
- Watch stay television from wherever through a Sling Media bridge
- Integrate IM and VoIP functions into your network
- Run your personal workstation climate station
- Connect TiVo for your domestic community
Read Online or Download CNET Do-It-Yourself Home Networking Projects: 24 Cool Things You Didn't Know You Could Do! PDF
Best personal computers books
The UKs in basic terms Weekly IT journal, Micro Mart is stuffed with information, studies, beneficial properties and offers. Written in an available kind, the journal informs, entertains and contains fanatics of every age and stocks our ardour for computing with them in a humanized and opinionated demeanour.
Likelihood is, you sought after a computer simply because it’s compact, moveable, and will get the task performed. You’ll wish this publication for a similar purposes. sufficiently small to slot into your computer case, it can provide what you must utilize your laptop—even if it’s your first desktop. After an advent that familiarizes you with the and software program plus operational necessities, it contains concise details on: Connecting stuff jointly, together with details on WiFi and Bluetooth The necessities of home windows, from the Startup Menu and keep an eye on Panel to the Recycle bin dealing with garage and utilizing folders, subfolders, and directories operating with documents utilizing the net Keyboard shortcuts, plus shortcuts for Microsoft notice, Excel, and PowerPoint difficulty taking pictures, together with the seven much more likely assets of difficulties straightforward and whole with a thesaurus that defines tech phrases in layman’s language and an index that is helping you discover the knowledge you wish quickly, Laptops For Dummies quickly Reference is a pragmatic, moveable primer for machine clients.
Now up-to-date and revised, the user-friendliest, so much reassuring, jargon-free, smartest, and such a lot finished nuts-and-bolts advisor for seniors, who're the fastest-growing demographic between social networks. Abby Stokes is the right consultant to the electronic area: She’s taught greater than 140,000 seniors the best way to use a working laptop or computer.
- The Definitive Guide to the ARM Cortex-M3
- XPath, XLink, XPointer, and XML-A Practical Guide to Web Hyperlinking and Transclusion
- Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 05
- Make: Technology on Your Time, Vol. 2
- Kindle Fire HD: The Missing Manual
- Itanium® Architecture for Programmers: Understanding 64-Bit Processors and EPIC Principles
Additional info for CNET Do-It-Yourself Home Networking Projects: 24 Cool Things You Didn't Know You Could Do!
Cellular Internet Connection to the Rescue 49 To ensure that your connection and data modem or cell phone are properly matched to make a connection, you must enter your cellular phone number (or the phone number assigned to the cellular data card), as shown in Figure 7-10. Click the Next button to continue. Figure 7-10 Confirming the phone number of your cellular device allows it to be activated as a data device. When the installation wizard is done, you are presented with the VZAccess Manager control panel, shown in Figure 7-11.
2. Locate and right-click the icon and label for your cell modem connection and choose Properties to open the Properties dialog box, shown in Figure 7-13. Figure 7-13 Using Windows XP ICS to extend your cellular data connection to other computers through an Ethernet switch 3. Click the Advanced tab, shown in Figure 7-14, and then check all three of the check boxes under Internet Connection Sharing. Click the OK button twice to close these dialog boxes—ICS is setup and ready. Figure 7-14 Enable ICS to work automatically for all computers on your local network.
I also upload one set of images every minute to my personal web page to provide a snapshot view and verify everything is working at home. Make note of the port number webcamXP uses for its built-in web server—you may need to change this to accommodate your firewall configuration. To change this value, if needed, deselect the Web Server (HTTP) button, change the port, and then reselect Web Server (HTTP). In the lower-right corner of this page are settings for remote control of the camera selection and features using the built-in web server.